Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is there any advantage to using funds from a Roth IRA to

Customer Question
purchase a home?...
Is there any advantage to using funds from a Roth IRA to purchase a home?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
11/19/2015
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Very little. If you take an early distribution from IRA to purchase your primary residence, you can exclude 10K from the penalty calculation. However, when it comes to Roth IRA the penalty only applies to interest. So, it really depends on your age and how much of the interest you will withhold.

If you are 59 1/2 and opened your Roth IRA more than 5 years ago, there 's really no tax benefit since your entire distribution is nontaxable anyway.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney