Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
13714381

I want to buy an tav out of my state(ca) and was wondering

Customer Question

I want to buy an tav out of my state(ca) and was wondering how i can avoid paying taxes on it.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you never bring the vehicle into California, and you can convince the other state to let you register it there, it might work. However, if the vehicle is frequently in California, and you live in California, there is absolutely no way you can legitimately do it. Due to other contract obligations, I may not suggest illegitimate ways which might work.

The details of how often the vehicle can be in California may be complicated. In general, if you drive it to work in California, or if it is in California for 30 consecutive days, you don't have a chance. I don't recall the exact numbers, and the state could legitimately find that the vehicle belongs to California even if it's not present in California very often.