How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to buy an tav out of my state(ca) and was wondering

Customer Question

I want to buy an tav out of my state(ca) and was wondering how i can avoid paying taxes on it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you never bring the vehicle into California, and you can convince the other state to let you register it there, it might work. However, if the vehicle is frequently in California, and you live in California, there is absolutely no way you can legitimately do it. Due to other contract obligations, I may not suggest illegitimate ways which might work.

The details of how often the vehicle can be in California may be complicated. In general, if you drive it to work in California, or if it is in California for 30 consecutive days, you don't have a chance. I don't recall the exact numbers, and the state could legitimately find that the vehicle belongs to California even if it's not present in California very often.