emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am a resident in California. I spent the last two years

Customer Question

I am a resident in California. I spent the last two years going through a loan modification. During this period, the bank paid the annual property taxes. I was recently granted a loan modification with all bank paid property taxes and missed mortgages payments applied to the new loan. My question is, can I now write off the interest and property taxes that are now charged to me? Also, my spouse past away last year. I hired a health care provider to assist with his in home medical needs, I.e. Grooming, sanitation cleaning, feeding, etc.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You can only deduct expenses for which you actually paid. If the past due interest and property taxes were added to your new loan than you haven't paid it yet. By the end of January you will receive a mortgage statement, form 1098 that will show how much of the payments you made was applied to interest and how much to property taxes.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Regarding the he health care provider, you may deduct some of the expenses as medical expenses but only expenses for nursing services (in home MEDICAL care). Expenses for grooming, cleaning (home aid expenses) are considered personal and therefore not deductible.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.