Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If you sell your property and after several month the buyer

Customer Question
said that you have a...
If you sell your property and after several month the buyer said that you have a bill for taxes, who responsible to pay?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
11/13/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

See this from the State of Florida:

..

Property Sold
If you received a real estate tax bill for a property you no longer own, please forward the bill to the new owner or return it to our office.

...

Property Purchased
If you recently purchased a property and received a bill, no matter when the purchase occurred, you are responsible for paying the entire tax bill. However, taxes are usually prorated on the closing statement and credit is given by the seller for the time during the year that you were not the owner. This credit is between you and the seller; no money is given by the seller to the Tax Collector as partial payment of that year's taxes.

...

So as you can see from the Florida Law here, the purchaser is always responsible

...

(although, as they mention, sometimes there are offsets paid as a part of the closing) where the seller AGREES to pay a part (maybe for a number of months in the year before the sale happened), but that would be between you and the buyer as a part of YOUR contract.

...

As far as Florida is concerned, the buyer owes the tax.

...

Lane

...

Let me known if you have questions

.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS