Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My sister is in USA. She is a working women as well as her

Customer Question
My sister is in USA...
My sister is in USA . She is a working women as well as her spouse. Her son is studying and will be going for higher studies. I want to help her as the amount required of 4 yrs study is about 250000 dollars. As it is I have to pay to my sister a certain amount as per the Indian law , I think this is the right time to help her. I want to give her 125000 dollars . I am an Indian resident. How can I give her and what I would have to do both as per Indian as well as USA laws ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
11/13/2015
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you with the US tax laws.

You can give your sister and her spouse unlimited amount without having her to pay gift tax. However if the amount is over 100K and is coming from foreign country, she will have to report it that she received a gift, but there will be no tax.

If you are NOT Us citizen or resident, there will be no reporting requirements for you.

According to couple of articles I read about gift tax in India, if the gift is coming from a relative, there's no gift tax either. So, you give her 250K without any tax consequences in US or India.

http://blog.hrblock.in/ensure-gifts-exempted-gift-tax-india/

http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2013/03/income-tax-on-gifts-received.html

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser