How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2995
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister is in USA. She is a working women as well as her

Customer Question

My sister is in USA . She is a working women as well as her spouse. Her son is studying and will be going for higher studies. I want to help her as the amount required of 4 yrs study is about 250000 dollars. As it is I have to pay to my sister a certain amount as per the Indian law , I think this is the right time to help her. I want to give her 125000 dollars . I am an Indian resident. How can I give her and what I would have to do both as per Indian as well as USA laws ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you with the US tax laws.

You can give your sister and her spouse unlimited amount without having her to pay gift tax. However if the amount is over 100K and is coming from foreign country, she will have to report it that she received a gift, but there will be no tax.

If you are NOT Us citizen or resident, there will be no reporting requirements for you.

According to couple of articles I read about gift tax in India, if the gift is coming from a relative, there's no gift tax either. So, you give her 250K without any tax consequences in US or India.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.