Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am now divorced since April of this year. During the time

Customer Question
i was married my ex...
i am now divorced since April of this year. During the time i was married my ex had a house cleaning service. I had the max amount of money taken out of my check to play her taxes for 28 years. Can i collect for those taxes i paid for her?
thank you,
Jesse
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
11/12/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi Jesse,

Assuming you filed a joint tax return - all taxes that were withheld from your wages were already credited toward your joint tax liability - so there is no "additional" refund.
Whether she should compensate you because the largest part (or all) taxes were paid by you - that is a civil matter between you and your spouse.
I would raise that issue during the negotiations of divorce terms.

Please be aware that your filing status is determined on the last day of the year.
As on Dec 31 2015 you are divorced - for tax purposes - you are considered as Single for the whole 2015.
Thus - all taxes withheld from your paychecks in 2015 will be credited toward YOUR tax liability - and if overpaid - you will be getting a refund.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor