How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29925
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can the state of North Carolina come after me living in Ohio

Customer Question

Can the state of North Carolina come after me living in Ohio for state back taxes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Yes - they could - but would be limited in enforcement options.
NC still may garnish your federal tax refund.
But in order to garnish your wages or levy on your assets in another state NC taxing authorities would need to obtain an Ohio court order - which might be costly and time consuming for them.
So as a practical matter they would only use such option when the amount of the debt is substantial and there is a reasonable collection potential (measured as the taxpayer's ability to pay).
Thus that would be relatively rare.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cynthia,

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you will all tax related issues.