Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My girlfriend and I just brought a new car. I payed about

Customer Question
10k and she payed about...
My girlfriend and I just brought a new car. I payed about 10k and she payed about 25k. Is that considered a gift? Do I need to report that on my taxes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
11/4/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

It would be a gift if the car is in her name and you gave the money for purchase. You do not have to report the $10,000 though because it is under the yearly allowed amount ($14,000).

If you give any one person more than $14,000 you would have to report the gift but no tax for you to pay as long as you have not used up your lifetime amount for gifts ($5.43 million).

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Sorry, the title is under my name.

Then no it is not a gift from you. She has made the gift if the car belongs to you and she does need to report the amount. Still no tax for her as she can use the lifetime.

She would file form 709 to report the gift to you.

From my end, I do not need to do anything. But for her, all she needs is to file form 709? She don't have to pay taxes because she can use her lifetime 5.43mil. Am I right?

That is correct.

She will send the form 709 reporting the gift but her lifetime allowance will save her from any tax on the amount over $14000.

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for my time.

What other information did you require?

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4