Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Scammed of 8000.00dollars can i use-this in federal tax loss

Customer Question
scammed of 8000.00dollars can i use-this in federal tax loss
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
11/2/2015
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

It is possible that you can claim the loss as a theft loss by using the Form 4684. SEE BELOW:

Generally, you may deduct casualty and theft losses relating to your home, household items and vehicles on your federal income tax return. You may not deduct casualty and theft losses covered by insurance unless you file a timely claim for reimbursement, and you reduce the loss by the amount of any reimbursement or expected reimbursement.

A casualty loss can result from the damage, destruction or loss of your property from any sudden, unexpected or unusual event such as a flood, hurricane, tornado, fire, earthquake or volcanic eruption. A casualty does not include normal wear and tear or progressive deterioration.

A theft is the taking and removal of money or property with the intent to deprive the owner of it. The taking must be illegal under the law of the state where it occurred and must have been done with criminal intent.

If your property is personal-use property or is not completely destroyed, the amount of your casualty loss is the lesser of:

• The adjusted basis of your property, or
  • The decrease in fair market value of your property as a result of the casualty

The amount of your theft loss is generally the adjusted basis of your property because the fair market value of your property immediately after the theft is considered to be zero.

If your property is business or income-producing property, such as rental property, and is completely destroyed, then the amount of your loss is your adjusted basis.

You must reduce the loss, whether it is a casualty or theft loss, by any salvage value and by any insurance or other reimbursement you receive or expect to receive. The adjusted basis of your property is usually your cost, increased or decreased by certain events such as improvements or depreciation.

Report casualty and theft losses on Form 4684 (PDF), Casualties and Thefts. Use Section A for personal-use property and Section B for business or income-producing property. If personal-use property was damaged, destroyed or stolen, you may wish to refer to Publication 584, Casualty, Disaster, and Theft Loss Workbook (Personal-Use Property). For losses involving business-use property, refer to Publication 584-B (PDF), Business Casualty, Disaster, and Theft Loss Workbook.

Theft losses are generally deductible in the year you discover the property was stolen unless you have a reasonable prospect of recovery through a claim for reimbursement. In that case, no deduction is available until the taxable year in which you can determine with reasonable certainty whether or not you will receive such reimbursement.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc515.html

------------------------------------------

Link to Form 4684/instructions:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4684.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i4684.pdf

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you in regards ***** ***** matter.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant