How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7197
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to be getting married to a man who owe 10,000. in

Customer Question

I am going to be getting married to a man who owe 10,000. in back taxes, Can the irs go after my money that is in a bank account.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

The IRS can only "go after" your separate assets for tax years that you file a joint income tax return with your soon to be husband. So, you should keep your assets in your own name and depending upon the nature of his tax issues, you may not want to file any joint returns with him if it is possible that the same issues that caused a problem in the past could also be part of his current and/or future tax situations.