How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother sold s house 2-3 years ago, has 300K getting less

Customer Question

My brother sold his house 2-3 years ago, has 300K getting less than 1 % in bank,does not want risk, I think he must be able to do something better with ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If your brother would not take ANY risk - there is nothing better he may do...
Any other options will have some level of risk.

We may look for options that allow to minimize the risk - but there is no way to eliminate it.

For instance - real estate is relatively not expensive - and your brother might want to purchase a rental property - and depending on circumstances - may expect 5-20% rental income.

He might purchase an existing business - and might have much better business income.

Another option is to invest into stock market. Yes - there will be a risk of loosing the money, but with 2% inflation - he is loosing the value anyway...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also has no business sence, nothing would be good enough, real estate might collapse, stock market - to high risk for him.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately - if he woudl NOT tolerate any risk - having a bank CD is the ONLY option.
Taking a risk is a key to any earnings.

First of all - never put all your money into one single investment option. Always diversify your savings.

Some low risk options to consider...

-- invest into children or grandchildren educational plan

-- purchase some annuity - see here

You can opt to receive payments for the rest of your life, or for a set number of years. How much you receive depends on whether you opt for a guaranteed payout (fixed annuity) or a payout stream determined by the performance of your annuity's underlying investments (variable annuity).

-- purchase US Savings Bonds

All these would be still related to current interest rates - and actual earning would; not be much better.

    Customer: replied 1 year ago.
    Sorry, I understood after I paid for my own problem, was able to ask something like this, and was not expected to have to pay again.
    Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

    You do not need to "pay again"
    But that is a the site which charges for services.

    If the answer has no value for you - you may simply ignore it.

    Whether you pay separately for each question or you selected a subscription plan - depends how you signed for services.

    Experts do not have access to your account - so I personally may not know.

    If you are not sure about your payments - you would need to contact the customer service directly.

    If that is an issue - see contact information on this page