Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If an accountant in makes a tax mistake, and admits it, is

Customer Question
If an accountant in Virginia...
If an accountant in Virginia makes a tax mistake, and admits it, is he at all responsible for the $overdue payment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/28/2015
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

In general, if this was simple negligence, which is the unintentional act involving as breach of duty of care that results in you being damaged, then you would only be entitled to your actual damages. Your actual damages would be the interest and penalties incurred due to the mistake, but not the actual taxes because you would have owed those anyway had the return been prepared correctly. But, if you can show gross negligence....the failure to exercise even the slightest amount of care.....then you would be able to recover punitive damages as well, which would cover the taxes. Even if gross negligence is not present, it could be that you could persuade the accountant to pay for some of the taxes to avoid you making a formal complaint with the AICPA in connection with the CPA's negligence.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney