Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Because fed and state tax, If I withdraw 200 grand to settle

Customer Question
bankruptcy trustee, do I face...
Because fed and state tax, If I withdraw 200 grand to settle bankruptcy trustee, do I face anther tax problem ? Is there penalty for withdrawing from Ira?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/26/2015
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you are younger than 59 1/2 you will have to pay income tax + 10% penalty for early distribution. There are some exceptions to the penalty, but not the income tax.

Please, do not shoot the messenger, unfortunately, bankruptcy or paying income tax is not one of the exceptions. The only exception in your case would apply if IRS levy your IRA account. But have a look at the table, you may find another exception that would qualify.

https://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Plan-Participant,-Employee/Retirement-Topics---Tax-on-Early-Distributions

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney