Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Lev, I need copies of my W-2s to 1988. Is that possible?

Customer Question
Hi Lev, I need copies...
Hi Lev, I need copies of my W-2s for 1984 to 1988. Is that possible?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/26/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

That MIGHT be possible - but it would be not a simple task...

If you need information for retirement purposes - it might be better to request such information from the Social Security Administration.
They do have your earning information.

If you are looking only for earning records - you may obtain such records from Social Security Administration. If you need a complete work history - you might want to contact SSA - there would not be any charge if that is for retirement reasons.

Here is the form -

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ssa-7050.pdf

Generally - transcripts from the IRS are available only for past 6 years and copies of your tax returns - for past three years.

You still may obtain older information from the IRS - but most likely will need a professional help. You may find here some detailed information about requesting and decoding the Individual Master File (IMF) -

http://www.famguardian.org/TaxFreedom/Instructions/0.8ObtAndAnalyzingIMF.htm

.

That is the only way to get older information from the IRS system.The following IRS documents provides some additional information on the IRS master file:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pia/imf_pia.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/irm/part3/irm_03-013-005-cont01.html

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pia/pmf-pia.pdf

.

Information about your tax account including informational tax returns (W2, 1099 and similar forms) are stored in electronic versions (not actual copies) - so you need to contact a local CPA to help you decoding that information.

Sorry - there is no simple solution.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor