How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lev, I need copies of my W-2s to 1988. Is that possible?

Customer Question

Hi Lev, I need copies of my W-2s for 1984 to 1988. Is that possible?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

That MIGHT be possible - but it would be not a simple task...

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you need information for retirement purposes - it might be better to request such information from the Social Security Administration.
They do have your earning information.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you are looking only for earning records - you may obtain such records from Social Security Administration. If you need a complete work history - you might want to contact SSA - there would not be any charge if that is for retirement reasons.

Here is the form -

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Generally - transcripts from the IRS are available only for past 6 years and copies of your tax returns - for past three years.

You still may obtain older information from the IRS - but most likely will need a professional help. You may find here some detailed information about requesting and decoding the Individual Master File (IMF) -


That is the only way to get older information from the IRS system.The following IRS documents provides some additional information on the IRS master file:


Information about your tax account including informational tax returns (W2, 1099 and similar forms) are stored in electronic versions (not actual copies) - so you need to contact a local CPA to help you decoding that information.

Sorry - there is no simple solution.