Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Greetings, I received a letter from the IRS stating that I

Customer Question
Greetings, I received a letter from...
Greetings,
I received a letter from the IRS stating that I owe $980.00 for a loan that was Defaulted back in 2013. I sent the IRS proof that I paid the loan off in September of that year, but they follow up with a "GENERIC" packet that offers me to sign a statement that I can disproof the fee or sign a statement that says I can not win in a U.S. Tax Court. Also was a copy of Notice 746 that explains Penalties and Interest. I tried calling them but it a recording of Most asked questions to choose from. No mention that they reviewed my copies of proof and no indication that the $980.00 for a $1498.95 is for the penalties and interest alone? Can you suggest to me my options or should I just pay the $980.00
Thanks, Colin
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/26/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi Colin,

...

This is likely a product of the automated system that sends out many of the CP and other notices ... essentially the right arm not know what the left arms is doing.... very possible that the department that received your proof has either not processed or these two issue "crossed in the mail," so to speak.

...

I would go ahead and reply TO the notice that you can disprove the fee

YOU need to send the response, along with a copy of the proof you originally submitted, in a way that provides a guarantee of deliver (certified mail, return receipt) ... you can track this online.

...

If you've paid this there's NO reason to pay again.

...

The reason that there is the choice of disagreeing is that these things CAN be wrong.

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

.

….

I'm just checking back in to see how things are going.

….

Did my answer help?

….

Let me know…

….

Lane

...

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS