Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I owe the IRS back tax money. If I get married will my

Customer Question
I owe the IRS back...
I owe the IRS back tax money. If I get married will my spouse be liable for that debt?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/25/2015
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Debts you bring into the marriage are not joint with your new wife. They are only yours. The complication comes when they come to collect.

While your wife is not liable for the debt, marital assets can be pursued by IRS. Sometimes they can be excluded if they are specifically your new wife's, but cash in bank accounts is hard to defend as yours versus hers. You may want not to use joint titling for assets or bank accounts.

Best to review the rules of community property in your state with an attorney, so you can insulate her finances from your issues.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax,

PDtax
PDtax