Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

What is the penalty on tax returns?

Customer Question

What is the penalty for perjury on tax returns?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Perjury (lying on a tax return) is tax fraud.

Criminal Charges

The IRS can slap you with criminal charges for lying on your tax return. A federal judge can toss a tax cheater in prison for 3three years and hit him with $100,000 in fines for committing perjury. Fudging on returns can also lead to criminal fraud charges. The IRS can seek $10,000 in fines and a year in prison against individuals who file fraudulent tax returns.

Civil Penalties

You also can get hit with civil penalties for pulling the wool over the tax man's eyes. Civil penalties don't include jail time, but they can add up to serious cash. Fines vary based on each situation. For example, a person who files a return chock full of falsehoods can see fines of up to 75 percent of her unpaid tax bill. If a person can persuade the IRS she wasn't acting willfully, fines can cap out at 25 percent.

http://budgeting.thenest.com/penalties-lying-tax-returns-29254.html

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me for a portion of the fee you have previously paid.

Best regards,

Barb