How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Griesch Your Own Question
Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 324
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Peter Griesch is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother is divorced and unmarried. She is limited partner

Customer Question

My mother is divorced and unmarried. She is limited partner in real estate properties. She did not write a will and her children are myself and my sister. In the event of her death, does the limited partnership share gets distributed to me and my sister or does it get distributed to other limited/general partners? Should she write a will?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

First, yes, your mother should write a will. It makes things much easier when a person does.

That said, if a person dies without a will, that person's property passes to their heirs via the intestate rules. Your mother owns a property interest in a partnership. You will be entitled to that interest or the liquidated value of that interest, depending upon how the partnership agreement is worded. Generally, the partner's interest does not pass to another person, but instead, the partnership pays the next of kin the value of that partnership interest.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my response. Just Answer only pays its experts if the customer rates the response. Thank you.