How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29571
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently trying to settle on a transfer of stock being

Customer Question

I am currently trying to settle on a transfer of stock being bought from me by a company in the US through a US based acquisitions company. I bought the stock through a broker in Hong Kong and they didn't lodge the W-8BEN form that I sent them because the stock had not listed yet. It still hasn't been listed however a US company is undertaking an aggressive takeover of the company by buying 51% of the stock. The US acquisitions company has requested the filed W-8BEN to allow the 15% US tax to be taken from the settlement sum. As I am unable to provide a filed W-8BEN form they have informed me I have to pay 30% tax now to enable to release of the settlement sum however this has to be provided by me and it can't come out of the settlement sum. Is this correct? If it is I can't raise the $38k USD tax. Why can't they take it out of the settlement figure?
Thanks for your assistance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you are asked to pay taxed upfront - that sounds as a scam...
Be very careful as you might not see the money again.

Several issues...
First of all income tax withholding is taken out of proceeds and sent to the IRS. Taxes are NOT paid upfront.

Second - when shares are purchased from you - you will incur a capital gain - and the capital gain is NOT taxed for nonresident alien.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.