How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Griesch Your Own Question
Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 324
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Peter Griesch is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Employees / Employment taxes

Customer Question

Employees / Employment taxes
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 2 years ago.

It appears my response may not have posted. If the person was an employee, who you had intended to issue a Form W-2 to, then yes, your are required to pay the employer portion of employment taxes to the IRS and VA tax authority. If the person was a contractor, who you would issue a Form 1099 to, then you're not required to withhold and pay tax.

If he was an employee, the taxes withheld should have been paid for the quarter which he was employed. If you missed that time, you can make payment with your next quarterly tax payment. It'll be late, but the IRS and VA may or may not asses a late penalty. It depends whetejr they spot the issue.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, would you please rate my service? Just Answer only pays its experts if their advice is rated by the customer.

Thank you.