PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

I am leasing a rental home, and my lease does not expire

Customer Question

I am leasing a rental home, and my lease does not expire for 6 more months. I just got a new job which is in a different city 150 miles from where I live now. Am I able to break my lease because I am moving for this employment?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Rental lease is a binding contract and unless there's a clause in it that let you break the lease for job relocation with a reasonable notice than you are out of luck. Unfortunately accepting a new job is not a legal reason to break a lease. However, most states require that landlord will have to make reasonable effort to find a new tenant but until than you are responsible for the lease. You may also try to find a tenant yourself and if your landlord accept you can get out of the lease without penalty.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Here's an answer from a author of several legal books related to landlords/tenants from Nolo publisher:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/question-can-i-break-lease-take-28064.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I am looking for an Lawyer/expert in the field of Home property lease law, not a "tax advisor"
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and saw that you requested a new answer. I would not respond unless you made such a request.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

As the first expert stated, you can break the lease, but you will be subject to the terms of the lease. Expect that you will have to pay something to your landlord to settle the remaining term.

The landlord is entitled to his full rental for the period. Some leases specify the amount of such settlement. In other cases, the parties reach an agreement to settle the lease for less than the full rent due.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Your question implied that you thought you could use your new job to escape any additional cost on the lease. That likely won't fly. Expect to pay something to settle the lease.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Since multiple experts assisted, please rate our work so that we can be credited with assisting. I'm PDtax.