How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3362
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How would one get the california franchise tax board off

Customer Question

Hi, How would one get the california franchise tax board off their back when they send a intent to offset federal payments notice? Currently getting welfare and ebt food card, have two young kids. they are claiming i owe taxes on a year i didnt make any money but never filed taxes and since then i have not because we lost two houses , lost jobs, its been a mess and now the little we do get they want too. Not sure what to do. Seek good counsel.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Unfortunately, California is VERY aggressive and greedy when it comes to taxes it believes are owed.

My best advice would be to sign a Power of Attorney to an IRS Enrolled Agent/CPA in your area who can communicate/negotiate on your behalf with the CA Franchise Tax Board. Tax returns will need to be filed to show if and how much taxes are owed to CA.

As an example, I recently was successful in assisting a taxpayer who had not filed CA state tax returns for 2003 and 2005, and CA was claiming he owed over $11,000 in state taxes. He had also defaulted on two payment plans that were entered into with CA. After speaking with a CA Franchise Tax Board representative and providing the tax returns, his tax liability was reduced to $3,000, and he was put on a payment plan.

The BEST course of action is to be proactive and communicate with the CA Franchise Tax Board so the issue can be resolved.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,