How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3179
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to retrieve a copy of my 2009 tax return and I am

Customer Question

I need to retrieve a copy of my 2009 tax return and I am having no success with your online help. I've gone through all the hoops. please help.***@******.***. this email is no longer in service. thanks jack scaggs.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Jack. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

2009 is closed year, so most of the copies will be destroyed or deleted from online servers by now. You can request IRS transcript for free or you can request an actual copy of your tax return for $50. IRS keeps returns for 6 year after they have been filed. You can request your transcript here:

Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.

If you want actual copy of your return, you will have to fill out and mail this form:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your answers don't help. It is the IRS who is requesting a copy of this return.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry, you didn't say who want's the return. Did you prepared your 2009 yourself or you used paid preparer? As I said, after the 3 -year statute of limitation runs out, most of the offices and online providers destroy/delete it from the system.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my return was prepared by turbo tax the same as my 2008 and 2010. of which still have copies. unfortunately I tossed 2009 a couple of months ago and now they want a copy.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.

Did you used Turbo Tax online or had a program downloaded on your computer? I doubt you will be able to locate it on your online account but if you had a program downloaded on your computer, the return may still be there, you just need 2009 Turbo tax to open it.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.

If IRS is asking for the return, it is because they never received it. If you tried to e-file, it may have been rejected and never resubmitted and if you mailed it it may got lost in the mail. The bot***** *****ne is, you have couple of options: locate electronic file of the return (online or on your computer) or prepare it again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I filed it through turbo tax online just a few days prior to filing my 2010. I remember because I received a small refund. I filed late due to an accident that left me convalescing for several months.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.

Ok. You couldn't not e-file your 2009 just few days before your e-filed your 2010. Last chance to e-file 2009 returns expired on October 15, 2010 and you couldn't e-file your 2010 before January 1, 2011. If you used Turbo Tax online, you have had to print it an physically mailed it. Did you mailed it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could've been. all I know for sure is that I did indeed file them. Just got off the phone with IRS and they are mailing me all the info to refile. Just not my day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PS and I wasted 58 dollars with turbo tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.

I am really sorry about the situation. IRS will most likely mailing your transcripts of your forms. It will have all information you need to complete your federal return in slightly different format. You can get IRS forms, tax tables and publications online to complete it. If you need help let me know.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.

Here's 2009 Publication 17 with tax tables and instructions:

and depending what other forms you need, you can find them here:

you can search/find by numbers like 1040, Schedule A....