How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29933
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When a personal property was purchased in So Africa

Customer Question

When a personal property was purchased in So Africa (Example) like a ring will I have to pay a use tax for my friend leave in IL? Please respond as soon as you can. Thank you. Than thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to our site!
According to sales and use tax regulations - when items are purchased and brought to Illinois for use within the state - yes such items are subject to sales tax,

See some similar situation here

more simple explanation may be found on following page

So - if you purchase an item on which sales tax would normally be collected if you bought it from a retailer in Illinois - you will owe IL use tax on that items

when you purchased such item while in in a foreign country.

So - the answer is - yes - the use tax woudl be required based on your situation.