How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The whole family has been granted Australia PR last year in

Customer Question

The whole family has been granted Australia PR last year in July. We moved to Canberra in January 2015. But my husband is still travelling between Singapore and Australia due to work commitment. In FY2014-2015, he stayed less than 6 months in Australia so he is not required to file a tax return. But what happened in next FY2015-2016 when he will be spending more time with the family and we guessed it will be more than 6 months. Is he liable to file a tax return for his income earned in Singapore?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.


If you're an Australian resident for tax purposes, you are taxed on your worldwide income, so you must declare any foreign income in your income tax return.

If you're not an Australian resident for tax purposes, you are only taxed on your Australian-sourced income, so you generally don't need to declare income you receive from outside Australia in your Australian tax return.

If you're actually present in Australia for more than half the income year, whether continuously or with breaks, you may be said to have a constructive residence in Australia, unless it can be established that your usual place of abode is outside Australia and you have no intention of taking up residence in Australia.

If your husband has been granted PR status then he will be taxed on all his income.