emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

When working in a foreign country US based company do US

Customer Question

when working in a foreign country for a US based company do US citizens pay taxes in the country in which they are working?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It depends. Generally, if you work in foreign country and being paid by the local subsidy in the foreign country, you will be paying taxes in foreign country. If you are being relocated by the company for an temporary assignment in the foreign county, it is not unusual that company will keep you on US payroll and will not have to pay taxes in foreign country. It really depends on the arrangement between you and the company.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

As US citizen you are required to report your worldwide income. You may be eligible for foreign income tax exclusion, if you live in foreign country and have foreign based income. There is also credit for taxes paid to foreign tax authorities.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.