How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3802
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I name is ***** ***** I have a question about sales

Customer Question

Customer: Hello
I name is ***** ***** I have a question about sales tax
if i buy an used car and export it to other country, do i have to pay sales tax
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, my question is do I have to pay sales tax if I buy an used car and export it to other country? Not register in the states
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

In order to avoid sales tax, you would have to purchase the car FOB destination, meaning that the title does not pass to you until it arrives in the other country. You may want to find a dealer in the other country who willing to get the car on your behalf. In other words, you would not receive a title in the US. In order to circumvent sales tax, the U.S. dealership would sell to the dealership in the other country, who would then sell to you, and you would pay whatever tax would be due in the other country.

If you purchase the car directly, you take ownership of it in your state of US residence, and if not a resident in the state of purchase and therefore must pay sales tax.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Just following up to see if you have any other questions. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,