Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have Form 1099-R with nothing listed in box "2a Taxable

Customer Question
amount". How do I...
I have Form 1099-R with nothing listed in box "2a Taxable amount". How do I determine the amount in box 1 that is taxable?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/14/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

Were there any non-deductible contributions to this IRA?

...

(meaning is there any money in the IRA that was either contributed in a year when you didn't get to take the tax deduction or mony contributed AFTER tax into a retirement plan)

...

If this money was rolled from a 401(k) or pension OR if you contributed these dollars yourself and the dollars were always deductble, then the full amount would be taxable

...

If some of the contributions WERE on an after tax basis, here's an excellent step-by-step from Mark Kennan:

...

Step 1

Total the nondeductible contributions in your traditional IRA by adding the nondeductible contributions and subtracting any prior distributions of nondeductible contributions. For example, if you put in $55,000 in nondeductible contributions but have already taken out $20,000, you have $35,000 in nondeductible contributions remaining.

Step 2

Divide the nondeductible contributions remaining by the value of your account. In this example, if your traditional IRA's value equals $240,000, divide $35,000 by $240,000 to get 0.145833.

Step 3

Subtract the result from 1 to find the taxable portion of your traditional IRA distribution. In this example, subtract 0.145833 from 1 to get 0.854166.

Step 4

Multiply the taxable portion by the total traditional IRA distribution to find the taxable portion of the distribution. In this example, if you took out $5,000, multiply $5,000 by 0.854166 to find that $4,270.83 of your distribution is taxable.

...

Let me know if you have questions...

...

Lane

...

Did you see my answer?

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS