Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a client who invests in commercial real estate. this

Customer Question
year he received a K-1...
I have a client who invests in commercial real estate. this year he received a K-1 from partnership that had box 20Z. it is listed as additional supplemental information. Details are below. How do I record this on his personal tax return? Does this come
off of his income number or is this just for reporting and the depreciation should already be in his Box 2 Rental real estate income already? It reads as below Schedule K-1, LIne 20Z Additional Supplemental Information Additional Alternative Minimum tax information
AMT Total Depreciation: 28000 ACE Post 1993 Property Depreciation 28000
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/14/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

For property placed in service after 1998, if the 200% declining balance (DB) MACRS method is used for regular tax purposes, depreciation must be recalculated for AMT purposes using 150% DB MACRS. The difference between regular depreciation and this redetermined amount is an income adjustment subject to inclusion in Alternative Minimum Tax Income (AMTI)

...

What they are telling you here is that the depreciation was calculated for AMT and that this is the depreciation that was used, but this is informational

...

Was there an AMT adjustment amount in line 17?

There is no AMT adjustment in line 17.
So I don't need to record this anywhere? It doesn't come off his income anywhere?

That's right - The items are statistical in nature and should not be utilized in the preparation of an individual's tax return and should not be put into your electronic tax preparation software.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS