Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I signed a personal guaranty business and now are being

Customer Question
I signed a personal guaranty...
I signed a personal guaranty for the business and now are being deposed and they want everything held jointly such as Tax returns and jointly held checking accounts. Am I required to produce such documents for the deposition.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/13/2015
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Could you explain more behind your guarantee, and who is pursuing you regarding your guarantee?

The lawyer representing the plaintiff in the case. It was a personal guarenty on a lease. My wife was not involved in the company in any way. Not even a stock holder.
Are you researching for the answer.

OK, so you guaranteed a lease, I assume for a building. The business failed, and you are being looked to to honor your guarantee.

This is a business law question, but I can assist. You likely do have to disclose your net worth, so the attorney can assess your ability to pay. I suggest that if you haven't engaged an attorney, that you do so before responding. Do not respond in any form without legal representation.

Your attorney will assess any insurance that might cover the claim, the validity of the guarantee ( a guarantee without consideration might not rise to the level of a contract), and other resolution options.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax