Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My name is ***** *****. My wife just received tax amnesty

Customer Question
Customer: Hi my name is...
Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****. My wife just received tax amnesty letter from the stat of Indiana for sales tax they say is due from 1988 & 1989. We have no records going back that far to prove any payments. What are our options?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She operated a restaurant during that period of time. We have never received any notifications of tax due until now. What other details would you like?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'll Wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/13/2015
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

In Indiana, the statute of limitations requires that collection be made within 10 years after the date of assessment. Since you have never received any notification of taxes due until now, the date of assessment is not known. My best advice would be to contact the State of Indiana to obtain information regarding this issue. There should be a number on the tax amnesty letter that you can call. The tax amnesty program is available for a limited time--until November 16, 2015.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent