Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am being told that my friend's wife who is the beneficiary

Customer Question
of a Fidelity account in...
I am being told that my friend's wife who is the beneficiary of a Fidelity account in the US must obtain a tax identification number before any money from her husbands Fidelity 401K can be released to her.
1) Is this correct?
2) How does she obtain a TIN?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/13/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. Fidelity needs this to report the distribution form the account to her.

IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers (SSNs).

She needs to use the latest revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. She qualifies for an exception based on the Fidelity request. She should include her original proof of identity or copies certified by issuing agency and foreign status documents. She would mark "h" on the W7.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4