How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15203
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being told that my friend's wife who is the beneficiary

Customer Question

I am being told that my friend's wife who is the beneficiary of a Fidelity account in the US must obtain a tax identification number before any money from her husbands Fidelity 401K can be released to her.
1) Is this correct?
2) How does she obtain a TIN?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. Fidelity needs this to report the distribution form the account to her.

IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers (SSNs).

She needs to use the latest revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. She qualifies for an exception based on the Fidelity request. She should include her original proof of identity or copies certified by issuing agency and foreign status documents. She would mark "h" on the W7.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.