Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

On Schedule E, what “Type of Property” do I use when renting

Customer Question
out a room in my...
On Schedule E, what “Type of Property” do I use when renting out a room in my house?
If I rent 1 out of 4 bedrooms in my house, then 25% is rental and 75% is personal.
In filling out Schedule E, I use my house address in Line 1a, ie*****
Line 1B is for "Type of Property".
How do I indicate that it is a room in my house, and that it is 25% of the house?
I use that fraction to calculate the expenses, but where do I specifically state that that is the portion of house being rented? Without the percentage listed, it may appear the entire house is rented when it actually is not.
Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/13/2015
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

There are two parts to your question. The type of property is residential rental, 27.5 year property. I like to enter all the figures as 100% deductible, so the second part, the business percentage, is 100%. That means the depreciation is set up at the business amount, say 50,000 of a 200,000 building.

My office software does ask to identify the rental as fractional. If you use tax prep software, look for that on your data entry page.

I like to describe the property as "25% rental of residential real estate,*****, your town, SC". That will tell the tax people you are reporting income from 1/4 of your property.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Hi, the first part of my question is very specifically about Line 1b of Schedule E. I don't see "residential rental" (with or without the depreciation schedule) as one of the choices on that form?

Got it. 1b should be single family residence. The title you use on 1a as I refer to above will allow you to describe fractional use as rental.

PDtax
PDtax