Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a question regarding the income tax on 2009. My son

Customer Question
has been living out of...
I have a question regarding the income tax on 2009. My son has been living out of united states more than 10 years. because for the cancer,and surgery I could not work,I need the money for my treatment and other expense I had. he did not have the money,he withdrew all his 401 k to help me. Later I could not work I did bankruptcy after 3 years and I lost my house through.
short sale.IRS has been sending the letter for the taxes. Now it is 3 times more. My son has been living in another country,i am responsible for that money and I can't. What I have to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/13/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

It is unclear which of you has the tax debt, you or your son. You mention your son and the 401k withdrawal so if he had a tax debt because of that and that is the issue let me know.

You mentioned your own problems and a sale. If the IRS believes you owe because of a cancellation of debt on the sale of your home then let me know.

It could be either based on the post you made but it is unclear so I need to know which of you (you or your son) is being asked to pay.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4