Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Sirs: years our daughter moved from Thailand and lived with

Customer Question
sirs: for several years our daughter...
sirs:
for several years our daughter moved from Thailand and lived with us,( she is mentally challenged) we were able to deduct her on our federal tax, every year for 5 years, she is now 50 years old, and did not like it here, so moved back to Thailand, with our son.
we have been sending money to him to care for her, now he has a family of his own.
and we are wanting to move to Thailand to care for her,
my question is, will we be able to deduct her from our u.s. taxes again, if she is living with us in Thailand, ( she had a ss # when living in florida with us here,)
larry moran, thank you.
***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/11/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If your daughter is an US citizen - then - you might be able to claim her as a dependent.
The issue is if she is disabled - if yes - she might be your qualifying child for dependency purposes.
If she is not disabled - she might be your qualifying relative.

For qualifications - see page 12 - let me know if you need further help with determination.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Tests To Be a Qualifying Child

1.The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2.The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.

3.The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.

4.The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5.The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid).

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative

1.The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2.The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

3.The person s gross income for the year must be less than $3,950. ($4000 for 2015)

4.You must provide more than half of the person s total support for the year.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor