How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12020
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend that their adult son has moved back. He's

Customer Question

I have a friend that their adult son has moved back. He's not able to hold a job, but doesn't qualify for disability. At least not yet. My question is can the parents some how count the monies for his room and board, food , medical care etc and 1099 him so that he will have proof of income to qualify for Obamacare? He doesn't qualify for Medicaid in Georgia. Someone suggested that his expenses would be counted as a gift. Is there anyway to make it income to provide him with countable income?
Ron M
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.



You've answered your own question Ron. ... Gifts are actually EXCLUDED from income HOWEVER ...


If they can give him some jobs around the house (or whatever, maybe help one or both of them with their own job tasks on a contract basis), and give him a 1099-MISC ... there's the income.


But again, it's not income TO them... but income to HIM that will allow enough income to get him here. (I think that something just over the poverty threshold will get him a full tax credit.


You can go online to and play around with the numbers