How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3282
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a few questions about Fictitious Business name and

Customer Question

I have a few questions about Fictitious Business name and EIN for banking purposes only
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Please post your questions.

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** please allow me to provide you with detailed information regarding fictitious business name and obtaining an EIN for banking purposes only.

The IRS makes things easy by allowing you to use your Social Security number to report business income and expenses. However, if you want to separate your business and personal affairs, you can apply for a fictitious business name, also called a “doing business as” or DBA, and an employer identification number (EIN) for the business.

To obtain an EIN,

Step 1

Go to the IRS website. Click on the “Apply for an EIN Online” link. Use the electronic system to apply for an EIN for your sole proprietorship.

Step 2

Fill out the online application. The system asks you to identify a reason for applying for an EIN for a sole proprietorship. Selecting “to open a bank account” is one of the most basic reasons, since sole proprietorships that have an EIN often set up a business bank account with it.

Step 3

File the form electronically with the IRS. Filing is free, and the system gives you your EIN immediately after transmission. Alternatively, you can apply for an EIN by mail or fax using IRS Form SS-4.

The following link contains excellent, detailed information regarding fictitious business name (doing business as) and obtaining an EIN.

Please let me know if you require further information.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,


Related Tax Questions