How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2997
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I converted a rental house to second home, how to treat

Customer Question

i converted a rental house to second home, how to treat depreciation i have taken
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Depreciation will reduce your basis in the home, but until you sell the property, you really don't know how much of it you will have to repay as depreciation recapture. For now you just keep the final depreciation worksheet, you don't do anything with it. You will need it to calculate capital gains once you decide to sell the property.

Let me know if you have any questions.