Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Tax NY/NJ and NYC income tax question. I live in New York

Customer Question
Tax NY/NJ and NYC income...
Tax NY/NJ and NYC income tax question.I live in New York City (which has city tax).
Last year I responded to and landed a job in New York City, on Wall St, which is where the position was advertised.
But when I just started, initially, my manager didn't yet have space for me on Wall St. and I've been assigned a desk across the river, in Jersey City, NJ where my company also has a building.In the beginning of this year my W-2 came from "MY COMPANY Services Jersey City, Inc." Located in Jersey City, New Jersey.By that time, or shortly thereafter, my manager got space for me in the Wall St. building in New York, NY, and that's where my permanent desk currently is, same as were my manager's office.
In addition, my manager belongs to the NYC-based legal entity of our company.I suspect that living in New York, especially in New York City, and earning income in New Jersey is not advantageous from the income tax perspective.How close or far from the truth is this supposition?I am sure that I've gotten under Jersey legal entity simply based on the initial seat assignment.
So I want to ask HR to reassign me to the NYC legal entity, at which my position was advertised and into which I was hired, and where I am actually working now for the whole year.
But just wanted to check before I do this.And if there was possible to get some kind of relative quantitative measure of the financial disadvantage of my current situation, so that I can use it as an argument for my request, I would appreciate it very much.Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/7/2015
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you live in NY and worked in NJ in 2014 and your employer withheld NJ income tax (look on your W-2) , you would have filed a NJ non-resident tax return and a NY resident tax return. If you live and work in NY for 2015, you will file a NY resident tax return. Since you live and work in NY, there should be no NJ withholding on your paystub, but there should be withholding for NY and NYC. If the reverse is true, you will want to contact HR to determine why you are having NJ tax withheld when you live and work in NY.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2678058-i-live-in-ny-but-work-in-nj-and-my-employer-witheld-ny-and-nj-taxes-will-i-get-my-nj-taxes-refunded

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent