How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29941
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to figure out my tax home and if im eligabe to

Customer Question

Customer: I am trying to figure out my tax home and if im eligabe to claim a bunch of deducions for travel. i rent a basement at my mothers in ny and have traveled all over California for workk staying in an RV. I dont work longer than a few months at each job and never know when or where im going next
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: im a lineman working on powerlines. i work througha union and work for several different contractors per year
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: ok
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to claim rv lot rent, electric and other living expences. can i claim miiles to each job or even to and from work daily? what can i claim. the main question though is what is concidered my tax hoe because, I know that willl help me understand what im eligable for on the IRS page.
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.

To determine whether you are traveling away from home, you must first determine the location of your tax home.
Generally, your tax home is your regular place of business or post of duty, regardless of where you maintain your family home. It includes the entire city or general area in which your business or work is located.

If you do not have a regular or a main place of business because of the nature of your work, then your tax home may be the place where you regularly live.

That is VERY important to have a tax home.

If you do not have a regular or main place of business or post of duty and there is no place where you regularly live, you are considered an itinerant (a transient) and your tax home is wherever you work. As an itinerant, you cannot claim a travel expense deduction because you are never considered to be traveling away from home.

So if your tax home is in your mother's home where you regularly live - then travel expenses might be deductible.

Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.

If your assignment or job away from your main place of work is temporary, your tax home does not change. You are considered to be away from home for the whole period you are away from your main place of work. You can deduct your travel expenses if they otherwise qualify for deduction. Generally, a temporary assignment in a single location is one that is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) for 1 year or less.

Once you have determined that you are traveling away from your tax home, you can determine what travel expenses are deductible. You can deduct ordinary and necessary expenses you have when you travel away from home on business. The type of expense you can deduct depends on the facts and your circumstances.