How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was refunded $1272.00 and you send you mailed it to my

Customer Question

I was refunded $1272.00 and you send you mailed it to my bank. The bank never received it I would like to know what happened to the check. My bank is PNC in Ashland OH and the check never went through my statements. Please explain.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. We are not a government agency or your tax preparation software, so we cannot trace your check. However, we may be able to help you locate the correct office to ask for the check to be reissued.

Who were you to have received a refund from?

Most government agencies have a "lost check" procedure, but I cannot give you the necessary contact information if you don't tell me who the check was from.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was expecting the refund from the IRS for $1272.00 and they said they sent it to my bank. I nor my bank ever received it.
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about the delay.

Some of these steps can be skipped depending on what you already heard from the IRS. The general process is:

You should first use the "Where's my Refund?" feature on the IRS web site. If a check is more than 28 days overdue, or if a direct deposit is reported by the IRS to have been received, you can call(###) ###-#### ***** use the automated system or talk to a representative. (If you originally filed "Married Filing Joint", you must talk to a representative.) If the automated system doesn't accept the claim, you will be mailed a (partially filled out) form 3911, and you fill out the taxpayer sections and return it to the address indicated.

If you still want to talk to me on the phone, I'll try to set it up, but it will have to be tomorrow.