Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am retired and did not work in any part of 2014. I

Customer Question
I am retired and did...
I am retired and did not work in any part of 2014. I received retirement income from a MA corporation throughout the year. I received rental income from a property I own in MA, I received SS. I lived for 3 months in NJ and MA and six months in NC. I have an ID from Ma and NC, I voted in NC, I don't own a car. I received neither a 1099 or a W-2 with respect to any state and none of my income was withheld. How do I allocate between the states?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2015
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Residence for state taxes had some special considerations. For example:

If you were a MA resident in 2013, you likely have to file as a MA resident until you take the steps needed to establish residence elsewhere. Voting is just one step. Drivers license, mailing address, when you put your MA home up for sale, and more are factors the states will consider.

I suspect you have to file in MA as a resident and non resident for 2014. Report all your income, and claim credits for income tax paid to NJ and NC for any income earned in each state. The rental is MA source all year.

I think you are looking at three state returns, and a split of your MA year into resident and nonresident. Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

I was a NJ resident in 2013. I filed in both NJ and MA.
I did not have a driver's license, just an ID. I am handicapped and don't drive. I changed my mailing address each time I moved. I didn't own my residence in MA or NJ. I own my residence in NC with my daughter.

OK. Then you are likely a NJ resident and MA resident and nonresident, and NC resident for each respective short period. You might be clean for 2015, and only have to file in NC and in MA as a nonresident for the MA source retirement income.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Please advise if you need anything more. If not, positive feedback gives me credit for assisting today. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax