Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I file an amended tax return 1040X 2013, I had at that

Customer Question
can I file an amended...
can I file an amended tax return 1040X for 2012 2013, for dependents I had at that time that didn't live in the US, Canada or Mexico. they now have green cards and I claimed them on my 2014 taxes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
10/3/2015
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

A child does not have to live with you to qualify as a dependent.

from IRS.gov:

You generally cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. However, there is an exception for certain adopted children.

If you were resident in the US, and are looking into dependents who did not live with you, have green cards or reside in Canada, US or Mexico, you are probably out of luck for those prior years. You did not mention children as the dependents in question, I just assumed.

Barring other facts, prior year amendment would be inappropriate. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

its my wife and stepson at the time they didn't have a greencard during the 2012 2013 years and I owe taxes for those years. would like to know if I can amend tax returns those years

you can amend and claim your wife as a dependent. In fact, you can file married joint. Green card is not needed to amend.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad---Nonresident-Alien-Spouse covers hos to make the election with the amended returns.

Your stepson can not be claimed that way.

Thanks again. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax