How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Angie Your Own Question
Angie, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 226
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Angie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are materials sold to a cabinet maker subject to Florida

Customer Question

Are materials sold to a cabinet maker subject to Florida sales/use tax where the cabinet maker has an independent contractor install them in a residence under construction?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.

If you pay sales tax on the materials when they are purchased, you can build this into the overall cost of materials and pass the total on to the customer.

However, Florida refers to this as use of materials.... and
Tax is due on the use of goods by the contractor. The contractor is responsible for the tax if sales tax was not paid at the time of purchase.
Contractors may manufacture or fabricate a finished product from raw materials for use in a contract. Contractors owe tax on the manufactured cost of such products. For example, a cabinet maker/installer must pay sales tax on the manufactured cost of the cabinet.
If a contractor fabricates a product at the job site, fabrication labor is exempt from tax. Only the cost of the materials is subject to tax.

You can find that information here:

Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.

Did this answer your question? Feel free to request additional information if needed. If your question/concern has been fully addressed, a positive rating is very much appreciated.


Have a great day.

Related Tax Questions