How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Angie Your Own Question
Angie, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 226
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Angie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to make a decision whether to move to from the UK

Customer Question

Hi There,
I am about to make a decision whether to move to from the UK to the US [CA] for 2 years to support my company as they grow their operations globally. I will be getting an L1 visa and will spend around 70% of my time in the US and the rest of the time in Europe or Asia. Additionally i have a good amount of equity in the company i work for any they are likely to sell while i am in the US. Can you please help me understand if i will be able to maintain a UK residency and by Tax in the UK rather than in the US.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.

Based on what you have told appears you will be subject to US tax.

You can maintain your residency in the UK, however because you will be spending the majority of time in the US, you will be considered a "tax resident".

There are a couple of tests that you can meet to determine your status....

I recommend this E-Book to provide you the information you are looking for.....specifically page 8 which states that if you are in the US 183 days in one year (or three years) you are considered a tax resident of the US.....

Unfortunately, this is probably not the answer you were hoping for... but unless you substantially limit your presence in the USA, you will be subject to taxation.

Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.

Did this resolve your questions? If not please feel free to respond with your concerns.

If your concerns have been addressed, please leave positive feedback.

Hope you have a great day!