How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15308
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 78 years old. Because I continue to work, I have set up

Customer Question

I am 78 years old. Because I continue to work for myself, I have set up a SEP-IRA into which I make an annual contribution. What I need to know is, since I am still making contribution to this account, am I required to take a minimum required deduction each year.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


You generally have to start taking withdrawals from your IRA, SEP IRA, SIMPLE IRA, or retirement plan account when you reach age 70½.

When you are continuing to work, you still have to make mandatory withdrawals from your IRAs, but you can delay taking them from your current employer-provided plan, such as your 401(k), until April 1 of the year after you retire.

(Employees who own more than 5 percent of the company sponsoring the plan can't use this delaying tactic, however; they must start distributions from their 401(k) accounts after age 70 1/2, regardless of whether they continue to work.)

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

You would not be allowed to delay the RMD.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.