Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I was a beneficiary of a bequest in the UK on which

Customer Question
Hello: I was a beneficiary of...
Hello:
I was a beneficiary of a bequest in the UK on which (substantial) taxes were levied there. Those funds are currently parked in a UK bank account.
Were I to transfer some or all of those funds to the US, where I live, would I be subject to further, US, income taxes on those funds?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/22/2015
Tax Professional: Jax Tax, Tax Attorney replied 2 years ago
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney

Whether you owe US taxes as a beneficiary has nothing to do with whether you do or when you transfer money to the US. Transfering money to the US does not create a tax situation. So, if you currently have no tax obligatíon regarding the bequest, transferring money to a US account is not going to trigger a tax liability.

In short, transferring money from one account to another, even internationally, does not trigger tax liability.

Jax Tax
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney