Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I owe a considerable amount in back taxes. 75k. I have been

Customer Question

Good morning. I owe a considerable amount in back taxes. 75k. I have been homeless for the past 3 years and just recently got a job and fresh beginning. I have filed my taxes , been to the local IRS office and they have advised me to contact collections for payment arangements. I have no real estate , bank account or anything of value. No retirement etc. What are they likely to do. I plan on calling them today.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you're financially unable to pay your tax debt immediately, you can make monthly payments through an installment agreement. This is what the local office was advising you to set up with collections.

Your future refunds will be applied to your tax debt until it is paid in full even if you set up the installment agreement.

The IRS will need to know what your financial situation is so they can accept a set amount each month.

If taxes are not paid timely, and the IRS is not notified why the taxes cannot be paid, the law requires that enforcement action be taken.

An IRS levy permits the legal seizure of your property to satisfy a tax debt. It can garnish wages.

Setting up an installment agreement protects you from enforced actions like wage garnishment.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

The system is telling me that you responded but I am not seeing a post by you. Could you please post your message again?

Thank you