How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3809
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Robin, I'm changing the name of our inc (registered in

Customer Question

Hi Robin,
I'm changing the name of our inc (registered in Delaware, set up in California / SF)
On the form I am asked to submit both the "California Corporation Number" as well as the "California SoS file number"
The CSN is obviously my entity number. But where do I find the file number??
Mattias Guilotte
Stockholm, Sweden
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.


The SOS number would be on the LLC application form that you submitted (if you kept the copy of your application returned to you), or by using the (the first column, "entity number", is what you're looking for).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Robin,Thanks for the speedy reply. However, I am filling in this form right now: they are asking for not only one number, but three:"California corporation number", "California Secretary of State file number" and "FEIN"The number you get from is the entity number NOT the SoS file number. I realize I do not know where to find the FEIN either.I have the original filing papers both from Delaware and the California filing. But I can only find the entity number.On the top of my "Statement of Information (Foreign Corporation)" from State of California I have a stamped number "12-674148". Could this be the SoS file number? I cannot find any other number except for the entity number.Let me know
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.


The FEIN is the federal employer identification number. You would have gotten that when you applied with the IRS for a EIN. The IRS would have sent you a letter with the EIN shown after you applied.

If you still have that then the EIN is listed there if you do not , call the IRS at 1-***-***-**** between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m in your local time zone and ask for a 147C Letter.

I will check on that stamped number and get back to you.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.

The 12-674148 is your CA tax number for the business.

The entity number ( a 12 digit number) is the identification number issued to the entity by the California Secretary of State at the time the entity formed, qualified, registered or converted in California.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I read something about the "12 digit number" somewhere. Supposed to start with the year of the incorporation.But where do I find it?? I do think I have all the paperwork from the original filing from DE or CA, but nothing starting with 2012.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.

If this is an LLC it would have the 12 digit number. Partnerships do not get a file number. If your entity type was issued one then it would be on the papers you received. I do not know that it starts with the year.

If you were not issued the 12 digit number , leave that blank. Your entity number should be enough.

Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** I have a different answer.

Form 3533 is a Change of Address form NOT a Change of Name form.

Since you stated in your original question that you are changing the NAME of your corporation, you would NOT use Form 3533.

If your corporation is a Delaware corporation REGISTERED to do business in California, you will first need to file a Certificate of Foreign Corporation Amendment in Delaware.

Once you have received the filed copy of the Certificate of Foreign Corporation Amendment from Delaware, you will then file an Amended Statement by Foreign Corporations with California. There must be attached to the Amended Statement by Foreign Corporation a certificate of an authorized public official of the state or place of incorporation certifying the change of name was made in accordance with the laws of that state or place. (California Corporations Code section 2107.) Both the old and new corporate names must be set forth on the face of the certificate. A certified copy of the name change amendment does not meet California statutory requirements. Note: That certificate is not required if the corporation is filing the Amended Statement by Foreign Corporation to merely delete or change a “doing business as” name without changing the legal corporate name. Note: When changing the name of a corporation .

I hope this additional information is helpful to you.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,