How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3363
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If an individual purchases $60 million of municipal bonds

Customer Question

If an individual purchases $60 million of municipal bonds issued by or in the State the individual is a legal resident of, what, if any federal income tax liability would there be from the income produced by those bonds? Is there an AMT on such income over a specific amount? If so, what rate would apply?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

The interest from municipal bonds is tax free at the federal, state and local levels as long as the investor resides in the same state or municipality as the issuer. However, if you buy municipal bonds in the secondary market and then sell them later at a gain, that gain will be taxable at ordinary long- or short-term capital gain rates. Municipal bonds pay a commensurately lower rate than other bonds as a result of their tax-free status.

Reporting tax-exempt interest. Total your tax-exempt interest (such as interest or accrued OID on certain state and municipal bonds, including zero coupon municipal bonds) reported on Form 1099-INT, box 8, and exempt-interest dividends from a mutual fund or other regulated investment company reported on Form 1099-DIV, box 10. Add these amounts to any other tax-exempt interest you received. Report the total on line 8b of Form 1040A or Form 1040.

If you file Form 1040EZ, enter “TEI” and the amount in the space to the left of line 2. Do not add tax-exempt interest in the total on Form 1040EZ, line 2.

Form 1099-INT, box 9, and Form 1099-DIV, box 11, show the tax-exempt interest subject to the alternative minimum tax on Form 6251. These amounts are already included in the amounts on Form 1099-INT, box 8, and Form 1099-DIV, box 10. Do not add the amounts in Form 1099-INT, box 9, and Form 1099-DIV, box 11, to, or subtract them from, the amounts on Form 1099-INT, box 8, and Form 1099-DIV, box 10.

Interest from private activity bonds (issued to fund stadiums, hospitals, housing projects and so on) is generally free of ordinary income tax, but that income is included as part of the AMT calculation. If you're subject to AMT, the interest you thought was free from income tax could end up getting taxed at a rate of 28% on the margin—which means a 4% yield shrinks to 2.88% after taxes! Although private activity bonds generally sport a slightly higher yield than regular municipal bonds of comparable maturity and quality, it's generally not nearly enough to overcome the AMT hit.

The following links contain excellent information you will find helpful:

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,